Jul 29, 2008

I can hear...

So as most of you know, I was 55% deaf in my left ear. Well, I had surgery yesterday morning where they drilled my bones and put a wire in my head, and wah lah! I can hear. IT IS TERRIBLE!!! Everything is SO loud. In the recovery room, Cam opened a bag of chips and I about died. I could hear the nurses' scrubs swishing around as they walked, the telephone dropped into the reciever at the nurses station, causing me to jump. Everything is in stereo and it's freaking me out. The drive home from the hospital in the topless Jeep was excrutiating. I tried to be brave, but we stopped next to an 18 wheeler and I had to cover my ears. Noise was coming at me from everywhere and my brain couldn't handle all the input. It's like I'm hypersensitive to each little noise- the carpet squashing under my feet, the drawer opening, the toilet flushing (ouch), the outside noises- birds, cars, wind in the trees, lawn mowers... I suppose my brain will need re-training to tune out the small stuff. I still wear cotton in my ears because it's all just too much. My own voice in my head is so loud when I speak- all this noise feels like it's going to pop my eardrums. My sweet sister has had Jake for most of the day and it has been so nice to have it a little quiet around here. I wish I had a cool blood and guts picture, but I was out cold and Cam wasn't aloud in there. I could show you a bloody Q-tip, but I'll spare you :)

5 comments:

Kelly said...

So glad that you can hear--but so sorry that it is so painful!! Maybe you should have stayed deaf...not really! Glad to have an update from our fav family the Empeys! Call us soon!!

Holly said...

I did not know that about you. That is the exact reason that we could never get my grandma to get hearing aids. Someone had told her years before that everything was too noisy with one. come see us at our blog rowleydreamsmatter@blogspot.com

Jess said...

Congratulations...? I hope you will get used to things soon! Pretty soon you will be hearing your kids laughter in stereo and it will all be worth it :)

Tiff and Trev said...

Hey Sarah! We missed you the other day but were so happy to hang out with Cam and Colie. I'm glad your surgery went well too...I can't imagine how it would feel for the volume to be turned up really loud, it would probably drive me nuts! I'm sure you'll get used to it in time. When can we do something? I miss your guts!

Craig&Shannon said...

So you are not deaf like me anymore! How sad! I am sorry I have been a horrible friend! Since I went back to work I have been so busy but I need to come up! I miss your cute face and now I can whisper sweet nothings in your ear! HA